To Hard Reset Samsung i897 Captivate
1. Turn the power off. If your Samsung Captivate is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
2. Hold the Volume Down button
3. Press and release the Power button
4. You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
5. Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
6. Press and release the Power button
7. Confirm, Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO
If the above procedures doesn't work, use this second method below,
1. Shut Down the Samsung i897 Captivate
2. Now press the Volume up, Home and Power button together.
3. When Samsung Symbol shows up release the power.
4. Then there is a boot Menu. Use the volume up/down to choose and home to select.
Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.